Customers can gain flexibility to explore broader sets of materials that can accelerate additive manufacturing adoption
On November 16th 2021 Stratasys announced it is advancing its manufacturing strategy with a new open tier of third-party materials for FDM 3D printers via an annual Open Material License. Stratasys are already providing open material availability on Neo stereolithography 3D printers, as well as the recently announced Stratasys Origin One and Stratasys H350 3D printers.
By extending this materials ecosystem approach to FDM technology, Stratasys will enable manufacturing customers to address new applications with demanding requirements while also having dual sources for materials.
What is an Open Material License (OML)?
Licensed users will be granted access to Open materials produced by third-party material suppliers. This new license will provide Stratasys customers with additional material options, part optimisation capabilities, and dual sourcing and cost saving opportunities.
Is this available on all Stratasys FDM systems?
No. This will currently only be available on the Stratasys Fortus 450mc.
Why introduce the Open Material Ecosystem?
- Customers want to accelerate material innovation and access more material options to expand application space
- Customers want to mitigate risks in their supply chain and source consumables from multiple providers
- Customers want access to lower material pricing to expand application space
How do I get an OML?
An OML is a subscription based software license that must be renewed annually for a recurring fee. Please contact us to discuss yours.
What are the new ‘material tiers’ being introduced?
Stratasys Preferred: Preferred by Stratasys for its customers for the highest performance applications. These materials are engineered to provide the best combination of material and printer performance and are developed either by Stratasys or third-party material partners.
Stratasys Validated: Materials validated by Stratasys with basic reliability testing to accelerate the expansion of material options available in the marketplace.
Open: Unvalidated materials accessed via an Open Material License (OML). These materials may offer unique attributes and the potential to address new applications but they have not received validation testing or optimization relative to performance and functionality on a Stratasys printer.
What is included in the purchase of an OML?
Each OML is licensed for a specific printer and includes the following:
- OML SW Tool – software tool functioning within GrabCAD Print that allows a licensed user to edit and customise printer parameters and create upgraded files
- Material Turning user guide – instructions and best practices on the use of the OML SW tool and material tuning methodologies
- Consumable starter kit – a bundle of canisters, spools, tip and e-prom chips
- Open Material License – licensed users will be granted access to use open materials
When can I buy my Open Material License?
Stratasys-Validated materials are expected to be available to customers of FDM 3D printers during the second half of 2022, starting with the Fortus 450mc.